We have clients often ask What is MacKeeper. Usually when they experience issues with their Mac. Let us educate you and provide information you should know
We have had clients bring us Apple computers or called us to ask us what is MacKeeper. We usually get the question asking if they should use it or they call saying “my computer is saying I have a virus”. Upon inspection it often turns out they already have it installed which often is the cause of the issues.
If you do want protection for you Mac we recommend CHTSI Serve a product built with the customer in mind.er?”]
So What Is MacKeeper?
MacKeeper is a piece of software that states it is designed to protect you from Malware and Viruses and is meant to offer tools such as maintenance, Adblocker and cleanup utilities. Everything sounds great right? That is where the good ends. We recommend you stay away from Mackeeper as it was developed by?Zeobit and then sold on. They use tactics such as ads to scare users into thinking that their machine is infected and telling you to install to solve the issues.
MacKeeper is also known to slow down your machine and does not provide a great experience. In our research we found that they had paid for positive reviews making it sound wonderful but in our experience, our advice is to remove it if you currently have it installed.
[blockquote right=”pull-right” cite=”Malware Bytes”]Kromtech, the developer of MacKeeper, has suffered a major breach that has exposed more than 13 million users? data[/blockquote]
How Do I Remove MacKeeper?
In order to remove it, first you want to remove the menu icon. So open the application and then remove the icon from the menu bar. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Launch the MacKeeper app from the Applications folder.
- Click on the MacKeeper menu from the top bar and then select Preferences.
- Click on the General tab.
- Uncheck the box for Show MacKeeper icon in menu bar.
- Now close MacKeeper from the System Menu bar.
In order to uninstall:
- Go to the Applications folder on your Mac.
- Right click and select Move to Trash or drag the MacKeeper app to the Trash.
- You may be prompted for your administrator?s password. Enter your password and click OK, and the app will move to the Trash.
- Another pop-up will appear that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall MacKeeper. Enter your password and click OK.
Want more articles? See our Tech blog.
Experiencing difficulties removing MacKeeper? Contact us for assistance by completing our online form or calling 03330 509625